Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The project takes shape

I'm zeroing in on what I'd like to do with my final project. I don't want to do a traditional paper because I think I may escape the semester without doing one of those, so why risk it now? Instead, I want to do a multi-genre research project about Shakespeare's views on war and relating them to Iraq and Afghanistan.

For those unfamiliar with mult-genre projects, a fairly good introduction can be found here. But, basically, you take a topic and you write about it in several different ways. It is a creative way to write a research paper. My plan so far:

~A bit of a traditional research paper. A short one, used sort of as an introduction to the ideas.
~Two sonnets: one on Shakespeare's view on wars (a little of "for" a little of "against") and mine ("against")
~A news report, noted English play-write William Shakespeare weighs in on the Iraq War.
~A short story: two soldiers discuss the way, with their speech mirroring Shakespeare's.
~A lesson plan about how I might teach this to high school students
~Ads for or against war, using Shakespeare quotes
~Letters to the editor, using Shakespeare to advocate for or against war
~Comparisons to current wars and wars in Shakespeare's time, including justifications, damages, and other items. May include other American Wars such as Vietnam and World War II as examples of wars we chose to get into and wars we had to get into.

One of the reasons why I want to do a project like this is because these are becoming more and more common and I feel that if I was to assign one, I should do one. So, in addition to relating Shakespeare to an issue I care deeply about, I can get in some practice for when I might give this project an assignment. Redeeming the time indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment